Personal care products and cosmetics are widely used all over the world. This results in the continued release of personal hygiene and cosmetic products or ingredients into the environment. To better understand the importance of personal care packaging, we need to know the importance of personal hygiene. It is essential for good physical and mental health.
Good personal hygiene habits help reduce the risk of disease, as your body is exposed to bacteria 24/ 7. If left untreated, these bacteria can increase the risk of infections and other health problems.
Mental personal hygiene is essential for self-confidence.
Being clean and well-groomed can make your skin feel more comfortable and confident. While being dirty is not only a threat to your health but it also creates feelings of pain and anxiety.
That’s why we always need to maintain good personal hygiene practices.
Personal care packaging is ubiquitous in our daily lives.
Sometimes you can leave the product on the shelf because of the personal care packaging. While you should have the experience that you decided to buy the cream because it is prominent in many people. And the reason is simple, the price and the functions remain the same. However, attractive personal care packaging has just caught your eye. If all of these items come with bare / no personal care packaging. It’s hard to imagine, right?
Now that we know the importance of personal care packaging for personal care products, let’s take a look at packaging material. Before that first, we know the purpose of packaging.
Purpose Of Packaging
The product is packaged in a suitable package for the following purpose:
- To facilitate transportation and storage.
- To prevent pollution.
- To prevent accidental spoilage.
- To prevent pilferage.
- To minimize error.
- Identify the products and the quality contained in them.
- Proclaiming the manufacturer of the existing product.
- To show how the product should be used.
- To attract the attention of the buyer and
- Convincing consumers to buy.
- To include ease of distribution, handling, stacking, display, sealing, opening, re-closing, use, dispensing, reuse, recycling, and disposal.
- To control the portion – The right amount of ingredients to control the use in a single serving or single packaging. Like Sachet
Personal Care Product Packaging – Suitable Material
As you walk through the corridors of your local beauty store, you’ll see thousands of different types of cosmetic packaging trying to catch your eye. From compact to tubed products, the options are endless. There is an assortment of different types of packaging with different aspects that make each cosmetic product unique. From the simplest to the brightest in terms of design, brands are competing to compete in the market. In addition, many different materials such as metal, plastic, and glass can be made into packaging. The shape and size of the packaging can also be an important factor in how you pack (and understand) each product.
Let’s talk about the material for packaging options.
Plastics Remain A Key Material For The Personal Care Packaging Industry.
Personal care packaging solutions may include the most diverse packaging needs compared to all other areas.
Can make plastic containers, flexible pouches, caps, closures, and nozzles.
Plastic coating pouches are the most widely used form of personal care packaging in the personal care industry. It can store liquid-solid and semi-solid materials and dispensing products.
Plastic: Works well for a wide range of cosmetic products. However, choosing this plastic is not so easy. Many different types of plastics can be used like BOPA (nylon – PA), LDPE, PET, and HDPE.
Nylon Films Plastic Packaging for Personal Care Product
Polyamide (PA) is widely used as an active ingredient in flexible personal care product packaging and multilayer films, due to its unique combination of properties, hardness, transparency, and medium barrier.
Nylon film is not really threatened by other plastic films in its niche market. Oriented laminate is especially appreciated for its good mechanical resistance against puncture and tearing. The puncture resistance in a 15 µm OPA film is twice that of a 12 µm PET film.
Nylon films (nylon 6) for the care product packaging market in terms of material, product type (pouches, (monolayer, multi-layer), bags, (bags in the box, in tube bag)).
Nylon serves as an effective barrier to packaging solutions and allows packaging converters to meet the barrier technology requirements of its end users.
In personal care products, Liquid materials are increasingly being packaged in flexible formats because multilayer flexible packaging offers efficient barrier technology. Nylon is used as a barrier material in multilayer elastic for bags and pouches.
Use of Nylon Film – Some Advantages
- Nylon film enhances the ability of tears to reduce bag blowout, especially in powder and liquid packaging applications. The nylon film also helps maintain freshness, prolongs shelf life, and prevents damage to the packaging material in a non-abrasive form.
- Nylon film material with good oxygen and gas barrier has higher than average moisture and strength. As it is a clear product, it has limited light barrier capacity but good heat resistance.
- PA6 is the favourite raw material of the big PA family. It is a low-cost polyamide and offers excellent gas as well as mechanical strength, essential for the printing and lamination process.
Nylon Film Specifications
- Nylon (PA) in film/bag is a very hard film with good transparency, good gloss, high tensile strength, good heat resistance, cold resistance, and oil resistance. It is excellent in friction resistance, organic solvent resistance, and puncture resistance is relatively flexible and has excellent oxygen barrier properties.
- Nylon film generally offers an excellent oxygen barrier and mild moisture barrier. It is generally tougher than other PET / PE films and has higher optical properties. The chemical structure of Nylon is very stable, which means it shows less stretching during the printing and laminating process. It is also respected for its excellent thermal stability.
- The synthesis of nylon or PA material in PET / NYLON / PE film greatly affects the oxygen and moisture barrier, creates a vague barrier to light, offers a highly reflective glossy aesthetic, and unlike other PET / PE opens new packaging application options. Films or bags that lack oxygen and moisture as well as a lack shiny aesthetics. In terms of mechanical properties, such as modules and tensile strength, PET / NYLON / PE generally outperforms PET / PE. Currently, Nylon film is suitable for applications that require a strong film with high tensile properties, scuff resistance, and durability.
- Hard bioplastics are currently available for packaging creams, lipsticks, etc. However, the market and specific cosmetics field require not only bio-based and biodegradable or recyclable materials but also bioplastics with better functionality targeted at specific applications. Therefore, barriers to the transfer of oxygen, water, ultraviolet (UV), and packaging to cosmetic (or cosmetic to packaging) substances are very important parameters.
Personal care product packaging should reflect the product itself – hygienic, safe, and long-lasting. To successfully assemble cosmetics, healthcare, and personal care products, businesses need high-quality wrapping solutions that can meet high consumer demands and strict deadlines.